[Shotimes] High end ignition loss

Zach Leahy leahyz@gmail.com
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 07:27:18 -0500

Ok, so I have a high end ignition loss, that I have not taken the time to
pull the codes on yet. Any takers on guessing the problem? Here are the
symptoms:
 Runs fine below 4000 rpm at any throttle position. Runs ok abouve 400rpm at
part throttle. Over 4000 rpm with high load/lot of throttle and I get
intermittant loss of all ignintion. I'm not talking a cylinder or two, I'm
talking all ignition. Feels like your idiot buddy reached over nad started
flipping the key on and off.
 Fuel pressure remains constant as ignition fails, seems to me not to be an
fuel related problem. Also WB does not show a significant spike on mixture
either way.
 Before you say it, it has new taylor wires and new motorcraft plugs as of
shortly before the convention. Also got the plug wells resealed then too....
for the umpteenth time :) (I just reseal them about once every 2 years or
the next time I have the valve covers off whchever comes first)
 There is a CEL and I need to pull the codes, just have not done it yet.
Problem arose on Saturday after about 300 miles of driving, mostly on the
highway with only a few bursts up to the top of 3rd to get around some
folks. Came out of the booth on the toll road and jumped on it in second
gear to get into the lane I needed and it felt like someone just started
momentarily turning off the ignition.
 So guesses, i may pull the codes at lunchtime if it stops raining.