[Shotimes] Not your normal S H O

Alan Fanning Awfanning@earthlink.net
Thu, 17 Nov 2005 18:15:33 -0800

The new dyno tests in my area (San Jose) added NOx testing, which was never
tested previously. And I have read where they introduced this test with
relaxed standards with the objective of squeezing them down as time goes on.
Didn't want to flunk too many vehicles the first year, or something like
that.  So, it's not obvious that the test standards relate directly to the
EPA standards.

A curious factoid is that my '82 F150 w/4.9l inline 6 managed to meet the
test requirements of my '91 SHO! The truck's test limits are somewhat
higher, but not so much as I would have expected for a non-EFI engine with
relatively unsophisticated engine management.

    Alan