[Shotimes] not enough heat

James White greensho@crown.net
Sat, 19 Nov 2005 20:36:00 -0600

The '95 MTX has always had a problem making enough heat since I got
it in April of '04, but it was the worst that it had been on Thursday.

Coming home from Minneapolis the outside air was in the high teens
and the best that the heater could do was 70-80 degree air output.

I was COLD for 500 miles!

Tested the EATC functions and all seemed OK.  Water temp was right
at 190-195 with a new OEM thermostat and cap.  But little heat!

As a part of the 60k, I added a jug of Prestone flush, ran it a week
and then drained it out, ran straight water through the system for
30 minutes and then drained that out as per instructions, and then
added the 50/50 mix.

I assume that the heater core has a restriction, but how do I tell
for sure?  How tell if the heater core is allowing proper flow?

And if it isn't, other than replacing it, what would stand a chance
of uncloging it?  Citric acid? Phosphoric acid?

regards, Jim White - greensho@crown.net
'95mtx 187k and cold
'93mtx with broken subframe mounts..