[Shotimes] Torque Steer Missing?

Leigh Smith Leigh Smith" <leigh1322@comcast.net
Sat, 1 Apr 2006 14:13:59 -0500

The right side has a center shaft so both half shafts are the same diameter
and length. So you have the same amount of twisting or  "wrap-up" effect
under load on both sides.
..
Plus most good front-wheel drive cars have the centerline of the tire very
carefully aligned with the pivot-point of the front suspension, at ground
level, as the tire contact patch. Basically there is no steering tendency,
it is neutral. Torque on the tire steers the wheel neither right or left.
Any slight change in wheel offset or even tire height would disturb this
neutral setting and introduce torque steer. Ie: the wheel will always try to
"toe-in". Then it becomes matter of if both front tires have absolutely
equal traction or not, which can change rapidly, introducing the rapid
tugging effect.
Most non-stock SHO mags add positive wheel offset. Most low-profile
non-stock tires change the wheel height. Double whammy = torque steer. Stock
tires & wheels equal no torque steer.
..
Even if you got the pivot geometry dead-on you are still going to have the
half-shaft twisting effect. More power, traction, better tires, and a quaife
would exaggerate this twisting effect. The half-shafts do "twist" and rapid
to eventually snap. Custom, hollow, larger diameter, non-twisting
half-shafts would be the only way to eliminate that. BTDT. 65 Corvair street
racer with a 500 HP W-30 455 Olds in the back-seat. The half-shafts required
to make it live, and go straight, cost as much as the car. It ran mid-tens
on the street with old stock street tires and could easily pull the front
wheels every time, at stop lights. It had sooo much traction, that the
half-shafts were the weakest link. We tried dozens. One actually twisted
completely around almost 360 degrees.
Lee