[Shotimes] 3.2 Swap Almost done - Starting Problems - Need Help

George Fourchy krazgeo@comcast.net
Wed, 05 Apr 2006 20:48:55 -0800

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 19:36:08 -0700 (PDT), Jason Kennedy wrote:

>For the life of me, I cannot find what you are
>referring to George. :(

OK.

I'm going to be totally redundant here...no insults intended.  If there is any doubt
about a single step or instruction, I'll address each one separately.

I'm referring to my car, here in the garage, for accuracy.  Pictures will come next,
if you still can't find the connector.

Start at the positive battery cable, the one nearer the radiator.  There is a small
black wire coming off it, along with the big one that goes across the front of the
car to the starter relay.  This is the separate power supply wire for the PCM (the
powertrain control module -- the  engine computer).  If that device is not getting
power, the CE light will be dim, and the IRCM, the integrated relay control module
(located over the fan, under the plastic radiator support cover) will not get power.
 If the IRCM does not get power, the fuel pump will not run, and the engine will not
start.  There will be spark.  The crank sensor will generate a spark, but there is
no fuel, so the engine will not run.  There is no telling what the timing is...the
computer determines that, and it is off line.  Probably/logically, the timing is at
the default 10 degree BTDC point, but I am not sure.

About 6 inches down from the battery end of the positive cable, the small black wire
has a connector.  It is adjacent to the radiator cap/filler tube, but a few inches
below the cap.  This is what I think is disconnected in your case.  It is round, and
not directional...that is, it will plug in without being in a certain position
relative to the other half, unlike 99 percent of all the other connectors in the
car.  It is easy for this to be disconnected and you not be aware of it...it is dark
down there....and if the battery is connected and disconnected a bunch of times to
check other systems during your engine install, this plug can come loose and not be
noticed.  Plug it in, and the CE light should be bright, and the fuel pump should
hum with the key on and engine off.

The ground circuit for the PCM ends at the inner fender, just behind the windshield
washer cap, and a small bit forward of the power steering reservoir.  There is also
a round connector in the circuit, just a few inches back from where the end of the
wire bolts to the fender.  It is less likely that this connector is loose, but it
might be, so make sure it is plugged in.

Hope this helps....I want you to get your car running.

George