[Shotimes] Longest Lived SHO... NON-Rebuilt Motor

George Fourchy krazgeo@comcast.net
Thu, 06 Apr 2006 12:27:00 -0800

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 11:36:13 -0700, C CASSELTON wrote:

> [...]

Weeeellllllll.....

Lowrider has 293,000 miles, plus or minus, on its original engine and transmission.
It is retired now, due to a steel strap that has failed on its most recent clutch.
I don't think it is the oldest out there, though....there are a couple of SHOS in
Texas that are over 315K-320K which are still on the road.

The thing about Lowrider is that it never died on the road due to its own failures.
It did have an early case of crank cancer, due to poor maintenance (no torquing of
the damper bolt) by a Ford dealer when changing the first timing belt, way back in
1996 or so; and the PFE sensor fell off the head in 2004, due to the bolt backing
out, which shorted out its harness to the computer, which shut itself down (while
cruising in the fast lane of I-80 near San Francisco) to save itself.  If anyone is
to blame for that, it is me, since that same morning I had the intake off to clean
the EGR passages, and I should have seen the sensor laying there.  I learned a LOT
about PFE sensors that week.

That car has also been hit in the rear twice, and has had two complete rear clips
spliced onto it.  The first was when it was 18 months old, and the second was in
2003.

It will be in the Towe Ford Museum in Old Sacramento, CA., starting sometime this
summer.

George