[Shotimes] TB removal tips

Mark Mucher mmucher@bellsouth.net
Sun, 9 Apr 2006 15:02:36 -0400

Well, I'm done - too soon to tell if I did any good (or harm!).

I learned one lesson the hard way - thought I would pass it along.

The FIRST thing to do when removing the TB (other than the plastic cover) is
to pull off the throttle and cruise cables.

Open the throttle half way or more by hand and the cruise will snap off
forward that the throttle cable is easy to release in that position.

Here comes the fun part!

Remove the two 10mm bolts holding the cable mechanism to the TB.

Mine were so tight, one required a 1/2 inch breaker bar and the other never
did come off!

Use a 6-point 10mm socket!  I started with a 12-point and the bolt is now
round, even though I switched to a 6-point as soon as I saw there was a
problem.  (Those Sears things any good for removing tight, round bolts?)

I took the TB off first and had absolutely no leverage, so I had to put it
back on temporarily to get anything to budge.

Hopefully yours won't be as bad.

Use moly-di (anti-seize) on the 10mm bolts when you put them back.

In summary, I would have been fine if I started with a 6-point...

mm in sunny FL
(leaky) '90 SHO