[Shotimes] OT IRL/CART merger needed

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:30:14 -0500

I fall on the side of Tony and the IRL, but believe that they MUST merge
for the good of the sport.  A mix of oval/road course events is the way
to go.  Ovals make more money from ticket sales, and road courses are
more fun to watch on TV.  A mix is just natural, and most drivers will
have no problem with that.

Here is what the most recent winner in CART had to say, a very brave
statement!  (From Valvoline Track Talk online newsletter):

Don Mallinson

Yes, He REALLY Said That:  Sebastien Bourdais, on the state of Champ Car
and the IRL. "Both series are struggling so bad financially, and the
teams can't put programs together and the drivers aren't getting paid
anymore . . . If they don't try to make it (merger) happen, it will die.
I think it's very straightforward. Either we succeed at this unification
or we'll all be out of jobs very soon."