[Shotimes] Re: O/T - Fwd: Check out Art Car gathering called CARTOPIA

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Wed, 12 Apr 2006 22:18:11 -0500

I am not sure if the 406 was an option with the police package or not,
but I would bet it was,  probably the 427 too.  The 427 came with either
a 4 bbl or two fours.  The 406 came with a four bbl or three twos I
think.  390 was available with 2 bbl or 4bbl.

I ran a 389 62 pontiac against a guy with a 62 galaxie with 390 with the
406 top end, 3-2's and 406 exhaust.  That car was running low 14's same
as I was.  We had a best out of three match race at a nostalgia event
and we really put on a show, both of us doing burnouts, backing up,
burning out again, staging and doing little stage mind games.  All set
up in advance between us to have fun.  The crowd was really in it (note
that this same day Arnie Beswick and Dyno Don Nicholson were doing match
races in their pro nostalgia 9 second cars, so we had to do something to
get the crowd going in such slow cars by comparison!).  I won the first
event, and if I hadn't gotten a lousy start the second run I would have
found a way to lose so we could go to round three.  For round three all
advance stuff was off and we would go for it.    We really had fun
staging and doing burnouts, and both red-lighted, but I was closer to
not, so I won!  HE was making a lot more HP, but I had better gears and
tires.  We were both about 14.20 but I was doing 105 in the 1/4 mile and
he was near 110.  So he really was making some more HP.  I was a couple
tenths better at least in the 60' and that was where I got him.  Lots of
fun, I miss that car.

Don Mallinson