[Shotimes] Rod Bearing Change @190K miles

Dave Garber dave.garber@comcast.net
Wed, 1 Feb 2006 10:49:22 -0500

Where is there an official definition stating that lugging is at 500 RPM's?
I can't say I've ever seen that? IMO, anything below 2k rpm's with any kind
of throttle opening in a SHO is lugging as they simply don't make much oil
pressure at those crank speeds.

 I agree with Ron on this one. You can most certainly 'lug' an ATX - at
least you can with modern ATX's (not so much with older non-lockup AT's).
Both my 99 SHO and my 96 CVPI do it at least once every time I drive 'em.
It's damn irritating actually as often I have to go over half throttle to
force the damn things to downshift (my Vic is worse than the SHO) where all
it would have required is for the converter to just unlock. Other times, it
doesn't happen (Ford automatic transmission programming strategy's are the
worst of ANY car manufacturer IMO) at all! It's funny that this came up as
just last night I was explaining this very subject to my fiance' who now
drives my 99. Coming up a fairly decent grade headed to my house I was able
to demonstrate this to her. The car simply wouldn't disengage the lockup and
was most definitely lugging. Took half throttle to alleviate it and instead
of a part throttle unlocking of the damn converter, it downshifted to second
gear! If I had kept it just under half throttle, it would have continued to
lug. And that is most certainly enough throttle to constitute lugging.
Again, it doesn't do this all the time, but it does it often enough. One of
these days, I'm gonna get a tuner for both cars and eliminate converter
lockup at anything below 50 mph.

Is it the same as an MTX? No. Of course not. It is much more pronounced in
an MTX when someone keeps the car in 4th at 30 mph thinking they are saving
fuel while mashing the gas at those low RPM's. But the effect on the rod
bearings is the same nonetheless.

I see what you are saying Don. But I disagree with you relative to what
constitutes lugging and what kind of lugging does damage to an engine. I
imagine that running an engine at 500 rpms at full throttle is going to do
way more damange than having an engine at 12-15 hundered RPM's at 1/3
throttle. But that doesn't mean the latter isn't doing harm to the engine
that's cumulative and observable. I've rebuilt dozens of engines over the
years so I feel I speak with some authority here as I've seen it time and
time again..

Dave Garber
Pittsburgh, PA
99 White, 94k