[Shotimes] Rod Bearing Change @190K miles

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Wed, 1 Feb 2006 17:17:37 -0500

When I lived in Louisville, I worked with a guy with a small pickup truck
with a 5-speed. Occasionally, we would have to go to Owensboro to our other
data center. One time I agreed to ride with Dennis, rather than drive.

He never shifted over 2K, and probably never used more than a fraction of
the throttle. And, he always wet through all 5 gears, hitting 5th at maybe
35 mph. It was driving me crazy!! We started out with another guy with a
535i automatic. IIRC, they got to the hotel well ahead of us (on an 80-mile
drive). I managed to finagle a vehicle swap for the ride home, it was too
much for my nerves to take!!

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of bjshov8
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 11:56 PM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] Rod Bearing Change @190K miles

OK, I've got a story about "lugging" engines.
When I was working at my dad's shop back in the early 70's, we had a friend
who was a plumber, and had a 1968 Chevy pickup.  He special ordered a 1966
Impala SS for his wife, with 425hp 427 and 4-speed.  His wife didn't like
driving it so my dad's shop swapped the engines between his pickup and
Impala.  The Impala ended up with a 283 and Powerglide, the pickup ended up
with the 427 and 3-speed trans.  I don't know what happened to the 4-speed.
But back to the subject- this guy would drive that pickup around town, never
getting above 1500 rpm.  In 1st or 2nd gear, he would get to maybe 1500 rpm,
then he would drop into the next gear and chug along.  I always thought what
a waste.