[Shotimes] Drove the new Fusion

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 12:26:44 -0600

Dave,

In my '96 SHO, the tranny is so slow to react that I don't use the other
positions much, but it is nice to have the option, and I DO use them
from time to time.  Especially on hills and mountains.  Also, for
decades, Fords have had the "start in 2nd gear" feature for slick
roads.  I do use that in the winter.  No such option on the Fusion,
guess you have to buy the traction control option for that.

My 300C has the "autostick" feature, and I find I use it frequently.  No
it isn't faster, it costs fuel probably, but it is fun.  And that is
part of why I buy cars (don't most of us on the SHO lists?)....for fun.
Having some control over the tranny, even an automatic is part of the
fun.  Would cost them almost nothing to add an autostick area to the
floor shifter, so why not do it?  Probably has more to do with warranty
claims than anything maybe?

Don Mallinson