[Shotimes] RE: 10% Ethanol and A/F ratio

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 21:39:08 -0500

Yes "IF" the fuel & timing tables have enough range to compensate. Fuel
economy will still suck eggs, though.

The whole purpose of the alky exercise was to 'fake out" cars with
carburetors for emissions reasons.

FWIW, I read something the other day on a semi-related note.

The press has been talking about GWs SOTU speech about the ethanol thing.
Read something the other day that tied in to an earlier article, but anyway,
it claimed that a car on straight ethanol has 70% of the efficiency of a gas
motor (IIRC, that's way too high..50-60% max).

Anyway, this article claimed that better tuning of the cars on ethanol would
get the efficiency up to 80% (!!!!) of a gas engine. Besides not believing
that, I was trying to think "how" a car could be tuned to raise it's
efficiency on alky rather than gas. Seems that any tuning tricks that would
work for ethanol would also work for a gas engine. I dunno, maybe I'm
missing something...or it's just another clueless reporter getting fed a
line of bull.

Ron Porter

  _____