[Shotimes] cam position sensor

Doug Copeland doug.copeland@gmail.com
Thu, 16 Feb 2006 22:56:17 -0500

hi all

It's been a while since I've been on here.  I haven't been able to give the
SHO much love lately, but I had a shocking revelation today.  A few months
ago I replaced my valve cover seals and plug wires, but have still had
problems with the car idling rough.  Occasionally when the car was warming
up, enough oil would leak down onto my cat and give the car smoke effects.
Today I was driving home and noticed the oil smell was slightly back while I
was sitting at an intersection.  I drove the remaining couple of miles to my
house and popped the hood.  I got my flashlight and shined it down the
accessory side of the motor because that is where smoke usually comes up.  I
did not see smoke, but oh to my wondrous eyes I did see a wet spot.  I
followed the wet spot down the back side of the motor to the cat area and
back up to something on the accessory side to what I thought to be the CPS.
It's a small round black sensor, and there seems to be oil somewhere around
where it meets the motor.  I did a little research online and read that a
bad CPS can lead to the car computer firing random cylinders causing a rough
idle.  Could this be my problem.  I have 179k on the car and it's the
original CPS.  Should I just replace it anyway? If that is what's causing my
rough idle and my weird acceleration that would be great.  Anybody had this
problem?

Doug
05 mtx money pit - new valve cover seals, DIS, plugs, plug wires, vaccuum
hoses, clutch, tranny, motor mounts....the list goes on and on and on