[Shotimes] Daytona 500

Mark Nunnally Mark Nunnally <marknunnally@joimail.com>
Mon, 20 Feb 2006 13:17:06 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

>But I get your point,  Leno is a pretty good driver, and I would rather
>have him as the "honorary" driver than about any other celeb.

because he's one of the few, true car nuts

>But when
>it comes to driving in the race, it is a whole other thing.  From my
>time as a pace car driver for vintage races at Indy, I know that the
>pace lap is fun, laps when cars are wrecked and leaking and safety
>workers and ambulances are on the track and you have a pack of drivers
>that can barely control their instincts are entirely different.   I got
>to do both and the later scenario is tension filled, even at a vintage race.

During one of the F1 races last season on Speed, Hobbs was saying that the pace cars (these 500+ hp AMG benz's) basically are running flat out on most of the road course tracks, max cornering and braking, etc.  And the F1 drivers still complain about the slow speeds and tires getting cold, etc ;)