[Shotimes] Daytona 500 & NASCAR HP

Mark Nunnally Mark Nunnally <marknunnally@joimail.com>
Tue, 21 Feb 2006 11:38:00 -0500 (EST)

I think the C6 Z06 is rated at 470 ft/lb?

It's pretty easy to figure hp or torque, especially if you know the rpm.  The cup cars (from memory) are 358 CI and 12:1 CR.  Regardless of what fancy cams/heads and whatever, you can only make so much sheer torque from a given size NA motor with a given CR.  So the only way to increase hp is make that torque at higher rpm.

If you run the math, 9000 rpm and 850 hp works out to about 500 ft/lb of torque.  Remember hp is just a math equation of torque and rpm.

same for an F1 motor, 3.0L NA motor frankly can only make so much torque, in fact, not a lot more than a 3.0L SHO engine can make.  But when you can do it at 18,000 rpm...you got 900 hp+

mark