[Shotimes] Dash Squeaks... Any Ideas ?

George Fourchy krazgeo@comcast.net
Thu, 01 Jun 2006 23:15:08 -0700

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 21:34:04 -0700 (PDT), Peter Maggiacomo wrote:

>Ever since I had my new AC evap and heater core
>replaced last year the dash has developed squeaks.

I haven't had a dash out by myself, but I've dealt with a few creaks in one or two!!
 ;-)

Looking at Helms now.  Tighten the visible center bolt up by the windshield that
holds it to the top of the firewall.  Also on top, under the speaker grilles, which
snap out, there are two more upper cowl screws, one on each side.  There is a center
screw that is below/forward of the radio that fastens to a firewall brace.  Remove
the plastic side cowl trim pieces*, which go from the doorsill covers to the
A-pillar/headliner trim pieces (which go all the way to the rear coat
hangars...these don't come out, but they might need to be loosened in front to
remove the cowl pieces.)  There is a screw for the dash on each side under the cowl
trim pieces.    There are other screws, but they have to do with the glove
compartment door and other subassemblies.

While you are under there, make sure your radio antenna cable is not pinched between
the windshield/door structure of the body and the dash.  That often happens when the
dash is hurriedly assembled after a core swap.  Been there, twice.  Messes up the
radio reception BIG time!

I've found I can make the creaks go away for a while just by pushing the dash
forward towards the W/S in front of the steering wheel.  That tells me I need to
tighten the three upper screws, two in the speaker areas and the one visible in the
center.

*The screws that hold the cowl strips in place are VERY long....they need to go back
in the same holes they came out of.  Other shorter (but still longish) screws, like
in the doorsills, aren't long enough to hold the cowl strips in place, allowing them
to rattle and buzz....BTDT.

George