[Shotimes] '91 accelerationproblems

George Fourchy krazgeo@comcast.net
Wed, 14 Jun 2006 16:42:35 -0700

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 16:54:51 -0400, Shane Kenner wrote:

>even though the car
>runs/idles normal, it is simply lacking significantly in acceleration.
>Occasionally, the car does accelerate normally, although only about 10% of
>the time. It is very inconsistent.

>OH, also, I have had "crank cancer" before- I dont think this is it- it
>doesnt run like my car did with crank cancer- it starts normall and runs
>normally- I remember those two things getting gradually worse with my old
>'91 with crank cancer. Also, the acceleration problem did not occur right
>after the 60k but some months after.

The first thing to look at with abnormally slow acceleration is whether the
butterflies in the intake are closing at startup.  If they don't you will get air
through all the runners of the intake, which will be flowing too slow.  That's why
the SHO intake is like it is...snakes...to give you high torque at low RPM, which is
what you are lacking.

As long as you have mentioned it, remove the top part of the timing cover so you can
see the cam sprockets.  WIth the engine at TDC, make sure the cams are also at TDC.
Should they be off, the power will be very markedly lower than normal.

George