[Shotimes] Valve cover bolt washers

clubairth@bellsouth.net clubairth@bellsouth.net
Tue, 27 Jun 2006 10:14:32 -0500

Yes. That's how the O-ring is listed for sizes at Lowe's. I guess you could
specify the diameter of the rubber too. I still am looking for the standard
size O-ring number? I think it's a 215 or 218 but have not been able to
cross it over? You really don't want a washer. This is what's wrong with the
factory style seal. The clamping force of the bolt will flatten things out.
Look at the factory seals to see what I mean. The O-ring does a very good
job of keeping the oil from migrating up the bolt stem.

 You really want a "Viton" O-ring but for this application I hardly think it
needs anything special! That's what's used in good valve stem seals, like
Fel-Pro. I wonder what the factory seals are made of? They get pretty hard
and stiff with age. I find that I split them if I am not careful in taking
them off. Several years ago I pulled them off and never broke any! Age/heat
and use I guess.
.
.