[Shotimes] (OT) Dr. Phil compensating for ...?

G Kerby Haltom g.kerby@sbcglobal.net
Tue, 7 Mar 2006 07:38:33 -0800 (PST)

The same reason we buy most anything.  Marketing.  H-D sells  the "experience".  Which a lot of seems to be gathering at the BBQ  joint and drinking beer.  I join them on occasion because there  are occasionally some nice looking bikes, and/or women, and the beer is  usually on special.  I wouldn't buy one of those anacronistic 1914  design engines to run my lawnmower, but lots of people do.  Since  my folks own a bunch of American Ironhorse stock, I hoping people  continue to do so...

  Kerby

Zach Leahy <leahyz@gmail.com> wrote:  You're right Ron, it is a bad idea perfected.  the problem is that since the
V-twin fits the image, no one will look elsewhere even when it has serious
limitations, cooling being one of them (rear cylinder temps are very high on
V-twins typically)  instead they throw a some cash and effort at a problem
and try and improve it.....

i think the numbers speak for themsleves -
HD 1800cc 67hp (RoadKing)
BMW 1200cc 167hp (K1200s)

You do the math and tell me who has figured out how to build the better
engine, and who is stuck in the stone age.  I shouldn't have to replace my
engine on my bike as an upgrade... especially when the bike costs about
$25k!

Less money, way less weight, more technology, more power......  why do
people continue to buy HDs?