[Shotimes] help with codes, please!

Rich Bruso shoguy_89@cox.net
Mon, 1 May 2006 19:23:26 +0000

   By any chance, is there a rattling or knocking coming from low down (near the crank) on the front of the engine?  This sounds like what my old '89 went through before I found the crank key had rolled.  Maybe it didn't happen to this car, but if the dealer did the 60k, they might not have paid a lot of attention to getting the pulley all the way on correctly, and likely didn't use a new key, as they've been discontinued.
   That's an odd set (to me, at least) of codes to be coming up.  If the engine is thrashing around with a rolled key, you will get oddball rich/lean errors, the knocking will be so loud that the KS won't register, and the cylinder balance test will be totally off.  No idea on the MAF, though.  Do you have a known good one you can try?
   Also, check the computer ground.  Twice.

--
-Rich Bruso
89 Black (Lola)