[Shotimes] help with codes, please!

Hartberger, Jason M. AT2 (AW) hartbejm@cvn71.navy.mil
Mon, 1 May 2006 15:21:28 -0400

181 and 189 say both banks have reached their adaptive fuel rich limit.
That would normally mean O2 sensors but those two in conjunction with
the 159 screams MAF IMHO. The sensor probably shorted and the EEC
defaulted to a rich mode (rich = clogged cats, lean = head gasket
explodey, you do the math). I'm in agreement with Paul, change the MAF
out. I also agree with Jim, though, oily plug wells suck and they happen
all the time, that's what killed my '94 for a while. That also sucks to
fix cos that means taking the intake and valve covers off = not real
fun. Of course, you have to take the intake off for plug wires anyway...

I would also replace both O2 sensors just as a precaution, and I would
take a real good look at the cats to make sure they didn't get hurt by
all that fuel. If you need a stock MAF I have one that I would be more
than happy to send to you on Wednesday or Thursday (my ship doesn't pull
in 'til Wednesday).

Jason

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of Robert Bruce
Sent: Monday, May 01, 2006 2:51 PM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shotimes] help with codes, please!

The good.... I recent acquired a 95 mtx with 189K miles.  I has no
leaks, has been 100% dealer serviced its entire life by the
original owner.  Interior in like factory new too, even the driver's
seat.  The car apparently has had a CE light for a while, so
the previous owner just parked it rather than sort out the problem.
Overall the car is in factory new condition.  The front license
plate holder is still in the trunk wrapped in a plastic bag.

The bad....
1) The heater/defroster blows only cold air.  My guess is a bad blend
door motor.  Isn't that the most likely fault?

2) CE light - The engine has NO power.  Idles ok, but as soon as you
touch the throttle, it lays down. Just acts like it's
completely choked on a way too rich mixture.  On the highway, once you
finally get up to speed, it goes, but has no throttle
response. CE light comes and goes at random intervals throughout the
range of speeds, idling, low loads, high loads.  I have a pile
of known good spare parts, but would like some advice before I start
blindly throwing parts at it.  Please help!  TIA!

KOEO codes 181 and 189
KOER codes 159 and 225
Cylinder balance test fails #2, 3, 4 & 6

Bob Bruce
92 w/ a mod or two
95 mtx 100% bone stock