[Shotimes] No BMW...was: RE: Any opinions on Toyo Tires?

krazgeo@comcast.net krazgeo@comcast.net
Sat, 06 May 2006 02:38:19 +0000

From: "Dave Kegel" <d.kegel@comcast.net>
> Yes, please elaborate.

There's nothing wrong with the car itself...that's for sure.  The one we ordered for March delivery came in the wrong interior color (silver), and it had a stick.  That was fine for me, but Eva wants to drive it too, and she doesn't want to learn to drive a stick.  She's "above" that!! (She thinks that a car with a columm shifter (ATX or MTX) is obsolete!)

So we canceled that buy, and were waiting to order an '07 when they became available, in June or July.  Then, gas started rising, and our house investments had already started slowing down their appreciation.  There are a couple of investment things we need to be ready for in 3 or 4 years, which might be a little tougher to accomplish if things continue to go the way they are, national and international economy wise.  Also, I'm a firm believer in the premise of "We Were Warned", the Fox news program about what might happen if another Katrina hits Houston about the time that Al Quaeda decides to successfully hit that huge refinery/oil depot in Saudi Arabia.  I came up with that possibility myself before I knew there was a program on TV about it.  I don't trust our current government officials to keep things aimed straight ahead, and the rest of the world is now definitely a part of our future, energy wise, as opposed to the way it was a few years ago.  We have to work with them, not
 turn them into adversaries.....(Mainland China is the biggest example!!)

That marginal outlook, plus the fact that the GS is paid for, also plus the fact that a (really) good car stereo system is as important to me as the ability to get to 60 mph in 5 seconds, helped me decide that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

The current 5 series BMWs come standard with I-drive, which means that even the basic sound system is buried in the electronics of the trip computer, the display screen, and the selector knob.  There is no "head" unit that I can swap out like I did with the GS, and if Eva's X5 is any indication, the premium sound system is anything but premium...it's just heavy.  My thumb of exuberance rotated past the horizontal position towards the down position during the phone call I made to my favorite stereo shop guy when he said I could spend up to $12 or $13K to make a 5 series sound system the way I wanted it to.

Leasing a 550 for about $900 a month would eat up the $30K I could get for the GS about the time I would turn it in, and then I would have nothing...no car, and a +/- $70,000 price-tag to pay for a 2010 BMW something.

The bottom line is....it isn't the right time now to go out on that financial limb.  Every time in the past (since Eva came along in 1997) I have come to a fork in the road like this, I have made the right decision, even though it might not have looked like it at the time.  I still have my other retirement present in mind, and taking the economical/sensible route now will make that event (the Fountain Sport Cruiser) that much more likely to appear.  I'll get something new down the road...I've decided to keep the GS until it falls apart, like Lowrider.  Since it is a Lexus, it will last longer than I will.

Heck....no one passed me in Indiana when I had the GS on the track, and now it will have theoretically better tires then it did then!!  That's good enough for now, and you outta hear Celine, or Enigma, or the Top Gun Anthem on the stereo!!  It makes you humble!!  If I can get higher than 28 mpg on a trip, with the inch taller tires, I'm satisfied....all the bases are covered.

Plus, there's always Black Diamond!!

George