[Shotimes] The verdict is in: my gas mileage STILL sucks! What now?

fwhittle@mindspring.com fwhittle@mindspring.com
Sat, 6 May 2006 19:41:38 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Well, after replacing my original spark plug wires (157,000 miles) and the plugs, my gas mileage hasn't changed a bit!  I'm still getting about 13 mpg around town.  I replaced the wires with Taylor Thundervolt wires and the plugs with the stock AGSP32PP's.  I replaced the plug well seals and sealed them with silicone.  I checked the front 3 (the easy ones to check) and they're free of oil.  The car seems to run fine.  I checked the codes and there were none (well, only the 632 which tells me I did the O/D switch incorrectly).  Cylinder balance came up 9 (all good).  What do I do now?  I replaced the thermostat a few months ago (the old one looked fine when it came out), I replaced the O2 sensors a few years back with no apparent change.  Anyone have any ideas?

On a related note:  While sitting in line to buy gas yesterday (cheapest gas in San Jose was $3.179), I pondered ways to keep someone from siphoning my gas.  I don't suppose it's too difficult to pry the gas door open.  I figured any smart thief would look at the gas gauge on his target vehicle to see if it's worth the effort and risk.  When I got home, I took an unbent paperclip, stuck it in the trip odometer hole (which on the Gen. II is right next to the gas needle), and pushed the needle down to empty (with the engine off, of course).  The needle does rebound slightly so that it ends up between 1/8 and 1/4 on the gauge.  Who knows, this might be just enough to make someone move on to a better target.

Frank Whittle
'95 ATX