[Shotimes] The verdict is in: my gas mileage STILL sucks! What now?

Techpriest techpriest@ourlair.com
Sun, 7 May 2006 10:02:27 -0500

Looking up the 95 ATX, it was rated at 18 around town when new.  Add in lost
energy for worn parts and I would hope to get 16 around town in that car if
it was mine.  My 89 is rated at 26 highway and with 120k miles I get 24
which I am happy with.  I don't do much town driving and never kept track so
I am not sure what I get there.

If somebody stole 5 gallons from a car that was supposed to get 16 it would
get close to 10 on that tank.  Unless there are signs of tampering I would
not stress over theft just yet.

Driving habits can account for the difference.  Try an experiment for a
week.  Let the car warm up before driving.  Press the gas like there was an
egg under your shoe.  I am not saying I drive like that, but those that do
say it helps.

I will let the more mechanically inclined handle that area of it.  I am in a
similar situation myself.  My wife's Lincoln is supposed to get 18 city,  26
highway and gets 18 no matter what we do.

Cheapest gas around here is $2.68, but I use premium so I paid $2.82.
Sorry, just could not resist.