[Shotimes] Spoiler mount hole locations

krazgeo@comcast.net krazgeo@comcast.net
Sat, 13 May 2006 18:25:26 +0000

From: Jon Heese <shotimes@jonheese.com>
> I'm in the process of adding a spoiler to a '92 trunklid, and instead of
> guessing and screwing it up (BTDT), I'm curious if anyone has measured
> and documented the location of the holes in reference to the edges of
> the trunklid...
>
> Or, if anybody feels like taking theirs off and measuring the hole
> locations to help out a fellow SHOwner, please let me know. =)

Well, son of a gun...

I just finished doing exactly that.  I had a decklid that was already drilled, and I measured the holes on it for drilling into the new SHO's decklid for its spoiler.  The problem is that my cars are Gen 1, and probably the holes are in a different place, due to the different shape of your decklid and the different shaped spoiler.

I can give you the dimensions of the holes for my spoiler, but I'd not guarantee that they are the same as for yours.  Unfortunately I am at work now, and the used decklid is in storage.  It will have to wait a few days until I have time to go get it.  I also have pictures of my installation of the spoiler, to be put on the BD build website page, and I can send you those showing the layout of the tape on the decklid.  I have them here in this computer.

My suggestion for you, if my measurements don't work, is to have you and a helper hold your spoiler just over the edge of the decklid, so that it would drop straight down into place after the holes are drilled.  Cover the area around where the studs would go into the lid with masking tape, and mark the tape carefully where the studs touch it as you and your friend lower the spoiler into place.  Eyeball carefully where the contours of the spoiler's lower edges go around the edge of the decklid...move it forward or backward until the fit is right.  Then you can drill the holes with a step drill, which is much easier to use than a regular bit, making the holes (for example) 3/8 inch or 1/2 of an inch in diameter, if the studs are 1/4.  This gives you room to adjust/slide the spoiler to fit....it should seal with a gasket, and you need to use fender washers underneath the nuts on the bottom side anyway, to spread the load around the decklid, rather than just next to the holes.  That wa
y, the holes don't need to be _exactly_ right, but will still work without the spoiler being crooked.

You will also need a holesaw to drill out larger holes in the reinforcing frame of the decklid, because the outer and center holes are covered from the bottom by that frame.  After you drill the upper holes, drill all the way through with a conventional bit so you can locate the holesaw in the proper place.  I didn't do that...just eyeballed the lower holes, and the nuts are hard to get to on the two ends of the spoiler.  I have to use an open end wrench, and turn the nuts just a few degrees each time.

Or, bring it here and I'll put it on for you.  ;-)

George