[Shotimes] HP & Torque Figures for 3.0 + 3.2

Leigh Smith Leigh Smith" <leigh1322@comcast.net
Mon, 22 May 2006 15:55:04 -0400

Pete;
I've always thought that, and I've been driving SHO's for 10 years.
At half throttle I get stomped by Escorts for Pete's sake!
But then the same is true of my gennie 1970 Z28. That LT-1 motor shares many
of the same reavability features as our SHO motor, but with double the
cubes, and likewise has an even higher 4800 rpm torque peak. Even though it
is 350 cu. in., and 425 HP, and 390 lbs of torque, it is very weak off the
line at half throttle, because it is so far below the torque peak, and for
so long. A "truck" 350 makes almost the same torque peak, but at maybe half
the rpm, and seems like a rocket in comparison, at least til the Z28 cam
kicks in at 3500 rpm. Sound familiar? Lower the torque peak, and you'll be
happier on the street, but it won't rev quite as well. I played around with
advancing / retarding the cam and varying the lash, and gained a half-sec to
60. You could go to a 3.2, use the 3.0 cams, and then advance them to lower
the torque peak. Bet you'd have 30 ft lbs more at 2500 than you have now!
And peak power should be about the same or more.
Lee