[Shotimes] Help with lean condition

James White greensho@crown.net
Mon, 11 Sep 2006 01:06:53 -0500

I passed my '93mtx a few years ago by adding a bunch of ethanol.
Had to add 3 gallons of pure ethanol from Menards, but it passed.
Now they have E85 for less money.  I added about 5 gallons to a
half of a tank of regular gas.  2 years later, it wouldn't pass with
the above magic, so I had to buy a new y-pipe.

Wonder if methanol might work better?

regards, Jim White - greensho@crown.net

At Sunday, 10 September 2006, "Mark Helpinstill" <mhelpinstill@patmedia.
net> wrote:

>Kris and George,
>
>Thanks for the suggestions.
>
>Definitely cleared the codes each time.
>
>Checked Bosch part #s online and at the store - seems to be correct.
>
>Not willing to spend $500 on new cats.
>
>Looked for vacuum leaks again today and found nothing.
>
>Looks like I will be pulling the spout connector and hoping for
the best.

>Thanks
>Mark

Pulled
>>> codes and
>>> got the 172 and 176 O2 sensor codes.  Pulled new o2 sensors and
bench
>>> tested
>>> using the shotimes procedure - both failed to show decent voltage
change.
>>> returned them to autozone and got replacements today.  Just installed

>>> them and
>>> no longer getting the CEL, but with the code scanner still getting
the
>>> same
>>> codes, plus engine running getting code 16 (does not exist apparently).

>>> Code
>>> scanner is a high quality autoxray unit.
>>>
>>> Checked for vacuum leaks and cleaned MAF.  Still getting the
same codes.
>>> Any
>>> suggestions before dropping the car at a shop?  I reinstalled the
>>> original
>>> ford O2 sensors and get no codes.  It will likely cost $200+
just to get
>>> someone to look at it, and likely tell me nothing.
>>>
>>> Bottom line - I replace a good part with known good parts and
now I have
>>> codes.  It seems likely that I have had a lean condition and
the new O2
>>> sensors are more accurately reflecting that with a code.
>>>
>>> If no one has any ideas - what about suggestions for a cost effective

>>> shop in
>>> central NJ?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Mark