[Shotimes] springs and struts

Ron Porter ronporter@ameritech.net
Wed, 20 Sep 2006 15:54:54 -0400

The KYB GR2 work very well in the rear with Eibach springs, but the front GR2s
could use more rebound control with Eibach springs. I would definitely use them
in the rear. For whatever reason, the valving in the front is too loose on
rebound. OTOH, the rear GR2s are made in Italy (IIRC), and the fronts are made
in China.

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net] On
Behalf Of james_ebersold@verizon.net
Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 3:01 PM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shotimes] springs and struts

Hello List...

I have a 1994 SHO with about 125,000 miles.  I have broken a rear spring and in
general my suspension has softened.  I definitely need to replace the rear
spring and of course will do the pair and by extension the entire rear as set.
I was initially inclined to replace the springs with the Eibach spring set as
the price is reasonable.  I am undecided what struts should be used.  I really
don't have the budget for something like the Koni struts and was looking at the
KYB GR2 strut.  I have been searching information about this combination and
have seen older posting on the net that this was a bad combination due to
insufficient damping in the KYB strut.  I have seen that shonutperfomance.com
has an Ford SHO specific front strut and a generic taurus rear but would those
really be something to consider for an SHO with Eibach strings.  I haven't had a
big issue with the front of the car yet wallowing around but I have to replace
my front wheel bearing soon so I figured I would !
 go for it all.  I suppose I could just buy the two rear Koni's and leave the
front struts alone for now.

I would also like to know when replacing strings/struts what other parts should
be replaced at the same time.  Do I really need to buy all new nuts and items
like that?  Should I replace the strut mounts?

I should point out I don't race or anything like that.   I just want a well
controlled vehicle without any overly harsh ride.

Your recommendations would be appreciated.  Thank You.