[Shotimes] Brake caliper grease--what works best?

jim koper jfkoper at att.net
Sun May 27 15:26:10 MDT 2007

Hello,

  Has anyone found a brake caliper grease that does not dry up and get tacky/gummy? Ive tried dielectric grease, antiseize lube, wheel bearing grease and brake caliper lube, and have found all tend to dry out in within a few months. When I pull the slider pins, the (former) lubricant is rather tacky/gummy, and the pins show wear rings, which means the calipers arent sliding smoothly on the pins as they should. Hence, sticking calipers, burnt pads, etc. I put enough of the stuff on when reassembling, but nothing seems to last. I know the Taurus brakes are not the best design, but short of aftermarket options, how can I keep the calipers sliding freely?

  Jim Koper
  92 red/black
  172K