[Spits] Help with hardtop!! Please!!!

Frank Drummond frankd8000 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 10 18:15:09 MST 2007

Harve,

Here is the secret that I discovered with mounting the factory hardtop on my
72 Spitfire.

The car starts to sag in the middle from metal fatigue after all these
years.  Not much, but enough for the distance between the rear holes on the
car and the holes over the windscreen to shorten.  As a result, the holes no
longer line up with the hardtop.

The solution,  place a bottle jack under the frame rails midway between the
wheels on both sides of the car.  As you jack up each side evenly, the
weight of the end of the car that is heaviest will cause the car to lose its
sag and the distance between the front and back holes will lengthen allowing
you to get the bolts started.

Do it carefully, remembering to block both the front and back wheels since
depending on jack placement either the front or back wheels will start to
leave the ground.  Good luck.

Frank Drummond