[Spits] 1980 Bumper Conversion

Daniel parrott parrotthead01 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 1 14:03:15 MST 2008

Well, I'm biting the bullet and started the process to convert my 1980
Spitfire's rubber bumpers to chrome bumpers over the winter.

I pulled the front bumper cover off and removed the foam plastic bumper
material from the middle and from in front of the two pivot support
brackets.  When I compared the pivot support brackets to that of a 77 Spit,
it appears that I have a 4 inch wide by 1 in deep vertical channel welded to
the pivot support bracket. The channel serves as the mounting bracket for
the foam plastic "dagmars".

When I tried to trial-fit the chrome bumper to the car, it didn't fit.  It
now appears that I have to grind down some of the metal that supports the
vertical channel in order to mount the US-style over-riders.  Am I correct?
Has anyone done this conversion already?

Also, Rimmer Brothers sells smaller "under-riders" to hide the pivot support
brackets.  Am I correct in that the entire vertical channel has to be
removed in order to mount the smaller, UK-style under-riders?

Dan Parrott
1980 Triumph Spitfire "PJ"
Savannah, Ga