[Spits] Burping a GT6

Doug Braun doug at dougbraun.com
Thu Jul 10 21:14:27 MDT 2008

If the coolant-recovery system is working properly,
all the air should be expelled after a few
cold-hot-cold cycles.

When you remove the radiator cap when the car is cold,
there should be NO air under it-- the coolant should
be all the way up to the bottom of the cap.  If it's
not, it could be because the cap is defective, the
sealing surfaces on the radiator filler neck are
damaged, or the hose to the recovery tank is cracked.
(Or it could be due to a slightly blown head
gasket...)  If the hose is clear vinyl, it should be
visibly full of coolant when the car is cold.

Note that the radiator cap has THREE rubber sealing
surfaces, and they all have to seal.

Let me smugly say that my Spit's coolant recovery
system has worked perfectly for years, and it never
overheats.  It even has the original radiator.  (Of
course, a GT6 has a bigger engine and a smaller
radiator so it's cooling system needs to be in good
shape.)

Doug Braun
'72 Spit