[Spits] Primer Vs Etch Primer?

Nick Moseley nmoseley at dccnet.com
Sun Jul 27 11:19:47 MDT 2008

Sorry for the cross-posts to those on multiple lists.

I'm part way through stripping and repainting the front chassis rails, shock
towers, bulkhead and shelf.  Just the shelf to go yet.

Old paint was mechanically stripped off, Rust converter product sprayed on
just in case, then a coat of primer, then colour coats.

My question is: what is the difference between "regular" primer, and "etch"
primer? I saw a show recently where they sprayed on etch primer in the
expectation that it would neutralize surface rust, and leave a primed
surface. It was an Eastwood product, but I see Etch primer for sale at my
FLAPS.

For the shelf on which the M/Cs etc rest, should I be using Etch primer? For
that matter, should I have used it on the rest, and would it obviate any
benefit of applying Rust Converter?

Sorry, lots of questions, but very little traffic, everyone must be out
having fun!

Nick Moseley, NASS #278,

76-81 Spits, GT6, Metro Vancouver B.C.