[Spits] Request for reference pics: 62-63 Mk1 Spitfire

Mike Welch spitfire at freebacon.net
Mon Jul 28 20:19:53 MDT 2008

I have 2 '69 MkIIIs.  Pictures are on my www.freebacon.net website.  Yours
looks a lot like the one that my son is rebuilding.  We have welded on
replacement panels, not too big of a deal (I know someone who is a good
welder, that helps a bunch).  Floor panels were mostly intact, we welded
reinforcement pieces in there.
  Big difference with the MkI and MkII are the bumpers are lower (more of an
open-mouth look), 1147cc engine instead of the 1300, and the gauges are in
the center panel.  Engines and transmissions are interchangeable between all
years (I've put an 1147 into a '79, and a 1500 into a '69 with very little
trouble)

Mike Welch