[Spits] Restorable? Your thoughts appreciated

Doug Braun doug at dougbraun.com
Tue Jul 29 13:25:44 MDT 2008

Hello,

I think that car is shot.  All of that re-painted area
is probably badly rusted underneath, not just where
the rust has already re-emerged.

The car is in theory restorable, but I think it simply
isn't worth putting all the effort into a Spitfire,
because they are simply not that valuable, even when
well restored.  You could put the same amount of work
into a Austin Healey, TR6, etc. and end up a car that
is worth 3x as much.

If you want to fix up a car, find one with the body in
the best possible condition.  Every extra dollar you
spend on the purchase will be repaid several times
over by the reduced time and money spend restoring it.

(Consider that some previous owner gave up trying to
fix it up).

Also remember that the really old Spits (MK I and II)
are going to be harder to restore, since it will be
rather difficult to find the interior pieces, trim,
etc.  If you really want a round-tail, I suggest
getting the newest one you can.

And take your time buying.  You will not be getting
into a bidding war over that car...

Doug Braun
'72 Spit