[Spits] Restorable? Your thoughts appreciated

Kevin Rhodes krhodes1 at maine.rr.com
Thu Jul 31 13:59:31 MDT 2008

At 03:44 PM 7/31/2008, Luke Lewis wrote:
>Wow - that car is more solid than either of mine, and one of mine is my
>driver!  You don't see a solid car here in Canada though - period - unless
>it's been babied it's whole life, restored or brought up from the States.
>That looks to me like a very worthwhile project, I wish either of mine had
>been that good to begin with!  Guess it's a POV issue!

This is so true. I am a subscriber to the British Magazine "Practical
Classic". What folks on the other side of the pond will tackle for a
restoration is mind-boggling. This month's issue has a reader
restoration of a square-tail spit where they guy replaced something
like 75% of the metal in the car! All by himself in his (probably
tiny) garage! Makes me thankful for my never-had-any-real-rust
Spitfire that originally lived in Texas. But ultimately, restoring a
rough car has to be a labor of love. But really, anything cheap and
cheerful is a money-losing proposition so it needs to be that way anyway.

Kevin Rhodes
Westbrook, Maine
Freddy the Spitfire, owned 12 years now, better than ever.