[Spits] rear end troubles

Greg Rowe growe58 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 20 20:47:24 MDT 2008

The clicking noise may be the u-joints even though they are new.  It's very
common.
Either the circlips are too thin or the flanges have become slightly spread
open over
years of use and the u-joint moves slightly back and forth as the axle turns
causing
that distinctive clicking.

The solution is to put a shim under the circlip.  You can cut one out an old
soda
can.

As far as the axle being out of concentric, how are you seeing the rear plate
jumping
around?  Are you running the wheels with the car on jacks?  I've never
actually tried
it but I would think that would be normal due to the two u-joint flanges going
through
various combinations of angles while travelling through 360 degrees.  Some of
the angles
are less "natural" than others and I would think that would tend to push the
wheel
against the suspension at varying rates giving that concentric look.  Of
course when
on the road, the weight of the car would cancel all this out.

I'm hardly an automotive expert so this is just a guess.  Take it for what
it's worth.
But try shimming the u-joints and see if it gets rid of the clicking.  You
should be
able to put the shim in without removing the axle from the car.

Best!

Greg Rowe > Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 17:08:07 -0700> From: stiker2126 at yahoo.com>
To: spitfires at autox.team.net> Subject: [Spits] rear end troubles> > Hello one
and all......> > Since replacing the rear wheel bearings, we noticed a
clicking sound in the rear....> > So, we jacked spitty up and removed rear
tires......> > Trying to figure out what the noise could be, even thought new
U-joints were used...> > What took us by surprise is the axles seem to be out
of round somewhere because the whole wheel assembly, backing plate and all are
kinda of wobbling around...> > You can see the axles are not turning perfectly
around, but out of concentric some.....> > Can't figure this out, as axles are
strait, not bent and new u joints pressed in and keepers seated....> > Never
seen anything like this..... oh, the half shafts out of the rear end appear to
be turning perfect circles...> so it seems it must be in the u-joints
somewhere....> > Question, Have any of you all seen this before.... any
ideas?> > Don & Henry