[Spits] Rear Spring reply

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Tue Nov 10 20:16:24 MST 2009

On 10 Nov 2009 at 20:32, Greg Stull wrote:

> It was taken Saturday after I let the car down from the jacks.
> So it was probably sitting a little high.

Oh, well that's okay then.

> I checked my Haynes manual and it said the rear should be 0 to 2
> degree negative camber. Is this correct and how do you measure that?

If Haynes said so, it probably is.  There are several way you might
measure it.  With swing axles the sheel is always normal to the
halfshaft, so you can just measure the halshaft.  For example, if you
have a flat, level garage floor you could measure the distance from
floor to the bottom of a halfshaft at two points a known distance
apart, then do the trig.  For two points separated by 12", -2deg
camber means the outer distance from halfshaft to floor would be .42"
greater than the inner distance.  [ 12 * sin(4deg) = .418 ]

> Also I'm thinking about doing what Joe said about letting the
> car down with everything loose and then tighten the bolts.

And I'm wondering if Joe wasn't pulling your chain, stirring up your
fluif or something.  What bolts are we talking about?  Both ends of
the trailing arm, vertical strut to spring end, shock mounts.  All
those bolts are meant to pivot with suspension movement, except
perhaps the shock mounts.  Even if they weren't, surely the torque
retained by the bushing isn't enough to hold the car higher off the
ground.  Having the tires bowed inward after you lower it to the car
can hold the car upward, but not those bolts!

> Does anybody know how thick the original rubber spacers were?

I would imagine someone does.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com