[Spits] Rear Spring reply

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Wed Nov 11 07:07:52 MST 2009

On 10 Nov 2009 at 21:25, Mark J Bradakis wrote:

> If you tighten the bolts when the car is on the ground at rest, there is
> no twisting stress on the rubber while the car sits there.  You're not
> making them stand on their head 24/7, so to speak

This makes sense and I defer to mjb's and Joe's greater experience,
but it is also true that the deflection isn't much in any case.
Perhaps I shall go look at mine.  Can't say I've ever had an issue
with them.  I'm trying to remember - seems to me they are much
eassier to put together when the hub is jacked up anyway, which may
be why I've never thought about it.

Let me add that I certainly did not mean to imply that Joe was being
flippant about suspension or safety concerns.  Rather, I was thinking
two things:  1. Tuning a car for optimum autocross or race
performance is a more demanding task than just tuning it for the
street, and Joe would surely know about performance tuning.  2. The
effect of loaded bushings on safety (provided they don't break, of
course) would be far less than the effect of having camber that is
too positive, and the camber is influenced far more by the spring
than by loaded bushings.  If (or I should say when) I drive my
Spitfire spiritedly I'd rather have the camber be slightly negative
regardless of what it looks like.

I'll go back to sleep now.

--
Jim Muller