[Spits] Clutch judder

Douglas Braun doug at dougbraun.com
Tue May 18 07:35:47 MDT 2010

This is a '71?  Did you ever park the car on a steep hill pointing
down, or jack the rear end way up?  The transmission does not have a
real oil seal at the front, and if the car is tipped enough,  and the
transmission oil can leak out around the input shaft and onto the
clutch.

This happened to me about 8 years ago, and I had the same symptoms you
have.  The fix was
to rev up the engine and smoke the clutch a few times.  It hasn't
given me a bit of trouble since then.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit