[Spits] 1300 vs 1500 manifold

celiracer81 at hotmail.com celiracer81 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 4 11:45:31 MDT 2012

Wow, 1/4" off the head seems excessive!  I knew that the 1500 combustion
chambers were deeper, but i didn't realize they were that much deeper!  I
guess i never checked compression on it to see how much i was losing.  When i
was first putting the motor together, i was pulling parts out of various boxes
that the PO gave me with the shell of the car!
What kind of compression were you getting then on Tiny Tim vs. what stock on
the 1296 head would be?

> From: spitlist at cox.net
> To: celiracer81 at hotmail.com; spitfires at autox.team.net
> Subject: RE: [Spits] 1300 vs 1500 manifold
> Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 09:39:06 -0700
>
> When I first built the 1296 engine for Tiny Tim, I decided to use a large
> valve 1500 head.  In doing some measurements I discovered that the
> combustion chambers of the 1500 head were much deeper than the 1300 ones
and
> if I did nothing to it, the compression would be extremely low.  Shaving
the
> head on the order of a quarter inch achieved the compression ration that I
> was seeking.  I sourced pushrods from Ted Schumacher to achieve the correct
> rocker geometry.  I also had Ted get me a set of Isky dual valve springs
and
> roller rockers to complete the upgrade.
>
> Joe

no