[Spits] Electronic Ignition

Greg Rowe growe58 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 19 20:32:51 MDT 2014

I may be incorrectly reading what you are saying, but Petronix specifies a 12
volt source for the red wire -if you hook it up to the + terminal of a 6 volt
coil (e.g. one with a ballast resistor), the Pertronix unit will workbut the
general experience is that it will have a shortened life (Petronix isn't
saying for sure about this, but they do insist on a 12 volt coil which implies
that they agree).
You can probably use any source that provides 12 volts crank and run OR bypass
the ballast resistor(running a non-ballasted wire next to it is sufficient
without disconnecting the ballast wire sincethe current will take the easier
path) and change your 6 volt coil to a 12 volt.
Good luck!
Greg Rowe1979 Spitfire
> Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 15:21:21 -0400
> From: dmitchel at sbcglobal.net
> To: wrgingerich at gmail.com; spitfires at autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: [Spits] Electronic Ignition
>
> Thanks to all rhat replied. I took Bill's suggestion and connected it to the
second terminal on the coil, and, after resetting the timing, it fired right
up and is running great. It turns out that had I had the time to play with the
timing yesterday it would have been fine.