[Spridgets] Diffs again, if I may

Daniel1312 at aol.com Daniel1312 at aol.com
Wed Jun 27 13:50:55 MDT 2007

You still don't get it.  This is nothing to do with my opinion.

The Torsen/Quaife/Phantom Grip does not switch power from one wheel to the
other but locks both together.

A clutch plate differential switches power to the wheel with grip and takes
it away from the wheel without grip.

If you associate a Phantom Grip device with a clutch plate diff you are sure
to come away confused.

You have to understand it's not that I say a Torsen/Quaife/Phantom Grip
behaves differently from a clutch plate diff it is RATHER THAT THEY SIMPLY DO
BEHAVE DIFFERENTLY.  I also have personal experience that confirmed this behaviour.

YOU ARE WRONG  to say that the goal of the LSD is provide maximum traction,
with both wheels providing power to the ground etc.  The goal of the LSD is to
switch power to the wheel with the most grip with the limitations on how much
it can switch being determined by the design of the diff mechanism (which can
be varied).  The goal of the Torsen/Quaife/Phantom Grip is to prevent one
wheel spinning more than the other but it cannot switch power to the wheel with
more grip.