[Spridgets] Driving diffs

Daniel1312 at aol.com Daniel1312 at aol.com
Wed Jun 27 14:40:29 MDT 2007

Go to some used car dealers and look around the stock till you find an older
BMW M series.  Check it has the Clutch plate type LSD which is probably a ZF
product.  Ask to drive the car on a test drive.  Find a suitable quiet road or
car park.  Select first gear, rev the engine to 6000rpm, count to 3 and dump
the clutch. Hold the steering wheel tight in the dead ahead position and keep
your throttle foot flat to the floor.

The car should fish-tail at the rear from side to side as the diff looks for
the wheel with the most grip.  This works better in the wet.

Return the car to the used car dealer and tell them you liked the car but you
think that maybe you'd like an Audi Quattro or 2WD Audi 8O or something.

Find a used car dealer that has an Audi Quattro or some other car that has
the Torsen diff though if you can be certain it has a Quaife that will suffice.
Ask to drive the car on a test drive.  Find a suitable quiet road or car
park.  Select first gear, rev the engine to 6000rpm, count to 3 and dump the
clutch. Be ready to apply a lot of opposite lock very quickly or if you are really
clever hold the car in a very tail out sideways attitude and feather back the
throttle until the car straightens out.  This doesn't work better in the wet.

Return the car to the used car dealer and tell them you liked the car but you
think you might need something a little more sedate.

Return home and post comments to the list.

Regards

Daniel1312

Incidentally I've been trying to unsubscribe for a couple days now as I'm not
only going away but I'll be busy when I get back so might not be able to get
back on the list until the Autumn ... so anyone want to try and unsubscribe
me?