[Spridgets] Starter AND Heater

Robert E. Shlafer pilotrob at webtv.net
Sun Nov 4 07:52:37 MST 2007

Chuck..

as long as block water circulation from the rear back to front is maintained at all times to prevent "stagnation" of water at the rear of the block for best cooling (block's heater valve open) nothing wrong with taking the heater out of the circuit for summer by hose re-routing.

I personally appreciate any added fluid to the already minimal cooling system so run with the heater included at all times (cockpit flaps closed of course) with the added consideration the heater core itself is a heat exchanger.

I do however route the return flow from the heater back to the thermostat housing
(direct to rad) rather stock routing, I use a cut and modified normal lower heater hose to do the job. Saw this arrangement in a picture of a racing Spridget's engine compartment in Daniel Stapleton's book;
made good sense to me so I adopted it.

Also I run without the "bypass" from head
to pump, with two 1/4" holes drilled in the
thermostat housing to provide for some flow during warmup and in the event the stat malfunctions in the closed position.

Cap'n. Bob      '60 :{)