[Spridgets] 1500 Midget tune up and interesting timing procedure!

Adrian Jones adrianjones747 at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 18 08:09:16 MDT 2008

Hi Folks,

Just yesterday I passed a lady cradling her infant in her arms.  Nothing wrong with that but she was driving a big SUV at the time.  Which got me thinking that I need to tune up this MG in case I need to get out of her way in a hurry one day.  This MG has got zero acceleration.  Sure, you can get up to 70 mph no problem, but it takes a while.

I have got the ZS set up nicely, I believe.  The spark plugs are a clean, very light chocolate brown.  The dashpot oil is always up to the mark.  Usually get about 23 mpg.  So I think I will take a look at the ignition side of things.  I've got the Pertronix with the Lucas Sports coil, so I think I'll experiment with the spark plug gap (upping it from 25 to 35 thou) but I have a feeling that is a waste of time.

Meanwhile, has anybody got any thoughts on the ignition timing - I've set it to the book with a timing light but I'm thinking it may need fine tuning.  Is it just a matter of experimenting or is there a better way.  For instance, let me quote from the Moss Motors TR3 catalog:

"Setting the ignition timing after a tune-up is simply done by adjusting the distributor for maximum R.P.M. and then retarding the timing to give a drop of 100 R.P.M in engine speed."

Great, eh!

Anyways, my MG runs great. starts first time, etc, but when you put the hoof down, nothing happens except a leisurely increase in speed.  I mean, at least my Toyota makes a big screaming noise when I do that.

Cheers,  Adrian