[Spridgets] 1500 Midget tune up and interesting timing procedure!

Brad Fornal tequila.brad at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 09:34:59 MDT 2008

Chances are you need to change the rear gear, as I don't think there is much
more you can do. BUT, if you go to an earlier 4.22, you will lose your gas
mileage.
IF you wanna do that swap, let me know, I have a diff I'll trade ya!!

Brad

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 9:09 AM, Adrian Jones <adrianjones747 at earthlink.net>
wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Just yesterday I passed a lady cradling her infant in her arms.  Nothing
> wrong with that but she was driving a big SUV at the time.  Which got me
> thinking that I need to tune up this MG in case I need to get out of her way
> in a hurry one day.  This MG has got zero acceleration.  Sure, you can get
> up to 70 mph no problem, but it takes a while.
>
> I have got the ZS set up nicely, I believe.  The spark plugs are a clean,
> very light chocolate brown.  The dashpot oil is always up to the mark.
>  Usually get about 23 mpg.  So I think I will take a look at the ignition
> side of things.  I've got the Pertronix with the Lucas Sports coil, so I
> think I'll experiment with the spark plug gap (upping it from 25 to 35 thou)
> but I have a feeling that is a waste of time.
>
> Meanwhile, has anybody got any thoughts on the ignition timing - I've set
> it to the book with a timing light but I'm thinking it may need fine tuning.
>  Is it just a matter of experimenting or is there a better way.  For
> instance, let me quote from the Moss Motors TR3 catalog:
>
> "Setting the ignition timing after a tune-up is simply done by adjusting
> the distributor for maximum R.P.M. and then retarding the timing to give a
> drop of 100 R.P.M in engine speed."
>
> Great, eh!
>
> Anyways, my MG runs great. starts first time, etc, but when you put the
> hoof down, nothing happens except a leisurely increase in speed.  I mean, at
> least my Toyota makes a big screaming noise when I do that.
>
> Cheers,  Adrian

DON JULIO 1942

www.myspace.com/tequilabrad