[Spridgets] Question on fasteners....

Jim Johnson bmwwxman at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 15:55:08 MST 2008

I've got my engine down, have found and extracted the glorious little dimple
of metal I dropped into the valves and. I believe, have found and am about
to repair my Exxon Valdez oil leak.  Now I am ready to bolt things back
together again. I want to replace all the bolts, washers and lock washers
with new. The ones on the back plate, the transmission mounting bolts, the
flywheel bolts and the sump bolts. I've found a kit for the sump which I
ordered. but was wondering if I can just go down the fastener isle in my
local Ace Hardward for all the rest?  I know there are special grades of
bolts, but confess I know little about them or even how to identify them.
What grade should I be looking for for the fly wheel, back plate, and
transmission mounts (bell housing to engine back plate).  Also, will be
replacing the pinch bolt where the steering column fastens to the splined
shaft on the steering rack. Isn't that some special grade too?  All this is
on my '68 Midget.

Cheers!!
Jim - 68 "Spridget" in Dodge City