[Spridgets] 5 Speed Conversion problems

Mike Rivers beatlemikey at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 12 22:40:21 MDT 2008

Hi,

I am encountering major problems with a Datsun 5 Speed kit I have recently received.  Although the adapter plate fits excellent, the rear trans mount is too high and will not allow rear movement.  Due to this, the fan hits the radiator. I already had to bash the heck out of the bottom of the heater duct and the top of the transmission tunnel to just get it to fit and so the driveshaft wouldn't hit.  Will an earlier fan/pulley work better since I have the 1275 plastic fan/cast iron pulley type?

Suggestions?  Ditch the kit and reinstall the original 4 speed ribcase?

Mike Rivers
1961 MG Midget 1275